Sunday, November 15, 2009

Grandma Dove Sings

When Grandma Dove Fife was a young mother of 7, she sang with the Singing Mother's Chorus in the West Boise LDS Stake Conference. (circa 1960) Sister LaRue Campbell was the director. Dove was singing second soprano and sitting directly behind Elder Harold B. Lee, the visiting authority from Salt Lake.

When the time came to sing their special number, " I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked", Sister Campbell whispered to Dove, "We need you to sing loud". Dove mouthed back, "But I'm right behind him". . . pointing to Elder Lee. The response was, "Sing loud". So she gave it her all and sang loud. After the performance, Elder Lee turned around, shook Dove's hand and complimented her on her beautiful strong voice. Dove's day was made and she has appreciated the compliment even to this day!

Music has always been a special part of Dove's life. She began singing in little school operettas as a first grader. When we lived in Roberts, she had the opportunity to sing in the Tabernacle in Salt Lake. The Singing Mothers from that area were asked to come to Salt Lake and sing for conference. I remember that opportunity and was so proud to have my mother singing in General Conference. She was there on my 9th or 10th birthday and when she returned she brought me a really nice zippered, leather 3-ring binder. I was so excited.

Even today if you are around her very long, she will begin singing a song from her vast memory of music. She usually knows all of the words and of course sings in tune. She seems to have a song for every thought or occasion. I wish I had her memory for tune and the words. I appreciate the talent my mother has and am glad she has always been willing to share it with those around her.

Sheila Dove Fife Larson

1 comment:

Steve and Nancy said...

I love the story about President Lee. Thanks for writing it down. Sheila.